Bachelor Specialization Module: Technology & Innovation II "Managing the Front End of Innovation"
What is this course about?
How did a firm decide to introduce a particular new product (good or service)? Out of all the possible new offerings, what guides management to pick one concept over another? How is the set of possible new offerings even populated? All these questions pertain to what is commonly known as the “front end of innovation” (FEI) – a complex process with many uncertainties to manage.
What will I gain from this course?
In this course, we will examine different approaches to and models of the front end of innovation. Our focus will be on techniques and tools for managing the complexities and uncertainties within that initial phase of innovation, examining in particular the research-ideation-prototyping sequence of activities. You will learn about perspectives and techniques drawn from psychology, design, and engineering in the lectures and apply them through brief (mostly in-class) exercises during the tutorials. By the end of the course, you should be familiar with the management challenges the front end of innovation poses, and corresponding potential solutions.
How is the course conducted?
- You will do all of your work in English, and we will deliver all instruction in English.
- We are following a block format for this course (see schedule below).
- There are two tutorial groups which will deliver the same material – please pick one and attend that tutorial throughout the course. This is important, so we can most effectively conduct the tutorials and you can derive the benefit from the activities we have planned.
- This course concludes with a closed-book 120 min. exam.
- This course is part of the Technology & Innovation specialization sequence (Technology & Innovation II).
- Course credit: 6 ECTS
What is the course schedule?
Note: the schedule is subject to change; please check back often. LSF
Exam registration (via LSF): 01.12.2018 - 26.12.2018
Cancellation of registration: 01.12.2018 - 02.01.2019
Re-Take Exam SS 2019
|Thursday, 27.06.2019||18:00 - 20:00||GSP 1, M 218|
For more information, please contact Lisa Welzenbach (email@example.com).
Please note the following important information regarding the specialization Technology & Innovation
- The former Module Technology & Innovation II was renamed to Module Technology & Innovation III (Technology & Strategy, Prof. Claussen) and will be offered every summer semester.
- The former Module Technology & Innovation III was renamed to Module Technology & Innovation II (Managing the Front End of Innovation, Prof. Spanjol) and will be offered every winter semester.
- The Module Technology & Innovation II (Managing the Front End of Innovation, Prof. Spanjol) will be held this winter semester 2017/18, and subsequently only once in summer semester 2018 and then each winter semester.
- The Module Number will be automatically updated in the account statement to the students, who were assigned to the Module examination for Technology & Strategy by Professor Claussen in the specialization Technology & Innovation in the original Module II in summer semester 2017. If this change does not appear on the account statement by the end of September, please contact the ISC.
- Attaining a higher grade in the Module Technology & Strategy by Professor Claussen can only be achieved through a "renewed" application for Module III (!).