Bachelor Specialization Module: Technology & Innovation II "Managing the Front End of Innovation"
Instructor: Prof. Dr. Spanjol
Assistant: Marcelo de la Cruz, Alessandra Gessl, Jan-Frederic Kuhlmann
What is this course about?
How did a firm decide to introduce a particular new product (good or service)? Out of all the possible new offerings, what guides management to pick one concept over another? How is the set of possible new offerings even populated? All these questions pertain to what is commonly known as the "front end of innovation" (FEI) – a complex process with many uncertainties to manage.
What will I gain from this course?
In this course, we will examine different approaches to and models of the front end of innovation. Our focus will be on techniques and tools for managing the complexities and uncertainties within that initial phase of innovation, examining in particular the research-ideation-prototyping sequence of activities. You will learn about perspectives and techniques drawn from psychology, design, and engineering in the lectures and apply them through brief (mostly in-class) exercises during the tutorials. By the end of the course, you should be familiar with the management challenges the front end of innovation poses, and corresponding potential solutions.
How is the course conducted?
- You will do all of your work in English, and we will deliver all instruction in English.
- We are following a block format for this course (see schedule below).
- There are two tutorial groups which will deliver the same material – please pick one and attend that tutorial throughout the course. This is important, so we can most effectively conduct the tutorials and you can derive the benefit from the activities we have planned.
- This course concludes with a 120 min. exam (further information will be provided during the lectures and tutorial)
- This course is part of the Technology & Innovation specialization sequence (Technology & Innovation II).
- Course credit: 6 ECTS
What is the course schedule?
Note: the schedule is subject to change; please check back often LSF
No registration required for course participation. All organizational details will be communicated in the first lecture Monday Oct 17.
Exam Winter Term 2022/23
GSP 1, Raum B201
Re-take exam "Managing the Front End of Innovation" – Summer term 2023
The re-take exam for the course "Managing the Front End of Innovation" will take place on June 29th, 2023 from 6 - 8 pm (18:00-20:00).
Please note that you have to register for the exam via LSF to participate. Without timely registration, you cannot take part in the exam!
Exam registration (via LSF): 18.05.23 - 15.06.23
Cancellation of registration: 18.05.23 - 22.06.23